Sunday, January 16, 2011

Me Before China


My name is Abbie Clark. I'm from Bangor, Maine. It's a small city with not a whole lot going on. I've never seen a moose in the wild. I keep a bucket list and one of my goals is to see a moose. I feel that growing up in Maine you should: a.) eat lobster, b.) pick blueberries, c.) hike Mt. Katahdin at least once and d.) see a moose. Hopefully that will happen. In the meantime, I'll just keep making moose antlers.
I go to school in Burlington, Vermont, at Champlain College for professional writing.

I have a tumblr, where I have some examples of my writing and photography. I also post things that are on my mind, or that I like. Eventually I'd like to be a published poet, but before that happens possibly a travel writer/photo journalist.I have a red beta fish named Rudy and I do photography.

Over the holidays I went home and saw the musical Plaid Tidings at the local theater.
It was a sequel to Forever Plaid, a play set in the 1950s about an acapella group.


I like that information is so accessible, but I don't like how we haven't found safe ways to dispose and recycle the technology. I also don't like how your personal information can be taken a lot easier. In high school I did a lot of giving back to the community, and recently donated money I saved through high school to melanoma research, and a family in need who has melanoma. In regards to the China trip, I really want to know if China has non-profits and if so, does the Chinese government enforce guidelines?

I love to travel and one of my goals on my bucket list is to go to all seven continents, but I'll be happy skipping Antarctica. I've been all over North America, and parts of Europe. Next step: Asia.
So I'm taking a class that is going to China in March. It's a social media Chinese culture class, and through the next two months I'll be having a crash course on Chinese history, and learning about China in the media. The class is called China Mojo, and students went to China in 2009, where they created a blog about their adventure. Now it's my turn!



I want to see a panda in the wild. I've seen them at the zoos, and I know they're wicked rare, I hope we'll see one in March. Will I be able to survive China? Can I adapt to using bottled water to brush my teeth, or eating authentic Chinese food? Follow this moose to China!

No comments:

Post a Comment